Friday, August 4, 2023

El Es Dee

I awoke to bright, bright green, the gentlest of breezes, the unusual, to me, fragrance of myrtle...from the trees. A blanket of ferns covered a lower deck about fifty feet behind and below the No Trespassing sign. Too tired to drive all the way, I camped in a wide spot in a turn thinking of Pozzo pontificating in Waiting For Godot, "The road is open to all, is it not?"  (here's the only segment available of Robin Williams' & Steve Martin's performance)




A little after 10 the day's prognosis looked good so I went ahead. At 10:30 I was moving uphill at a steady pace and though my length-of-stride wasn't anything to brag about, it's been so long since I've had any energy I was reveling;  the extra isosorbide is working!

Around 11 things started to come into sharper focus. A strong breeze passed through the tops of the trees reminding me of the time in Boulder (Colorado), when, though I couldn't understand what they were saying, I was astonished to discover they, the trees, were talking among themselves. 

It turned out to be a lighter dose and I went to Port Orford where I stopped in at Cafe Gemma. There, I severely harrassed the baker about her flour's provenance and after purchasing what later proved to be a delicious raspberry scone and being gifted with a complimentary brownie, I left with assurances that she, the baker, would give Carol, who has the frame shop next door, a hug for me. 

And then I went to Bandon and camped in what was once a secret place but over the course of the evening four other vehicles came in. But they were all like church-mice...and I, I got out the headphones and listened 'til past midnight, to a playlist Hollis, of In the Company of Plants and Rocks,  had sent. And with her permission, here it is for you, too. Thank you, Hollis!


Valley Girl (Vallpigan), Scandinavian, very different from Zappa's version 😂 We include the harmony part played in this recording. We often add harmony to tunes, love the rich sound 

Ma Yofus, Klezmer

Star of the County Down, Irish, I like this simple but sincere performance. I often play a counter melody while accordion stays on tune.

Maple Sugar, Canadian oldtime, by Patty Kusturok. I really like her style and learn tunes from her Youtube offerings. She's a wonderful person, eager to share music.

Jovano Jovanke, Macedonia, closest I could find to what we play. We like it cuz it's in 7/8 meter ðŸ™ƒ

Trio de Taos (with Jenny Vincent), all I could find was the whole CD. We do El Lirio, Las Gaviotas, WPA Polka, others

finally my current favorite waltz, in a style I aspire to:
Debbie's Waltz written by the great Graham Townsend. We include a harmony written by a long time fiddler friend. I'm not an HSP but this one can make me cry.

(Update 5.Aug. -- I, MFH, allowed as how, being an HSP, I tend tuh get teary-eyed over the prelude to Der Meistersinger, Beethoven's Ode To Joy, and other sentimental tunes.)



1 comment: