Friday, August 4, 2023

Cafe Gemma - Port Orford

It was that mid-point in the afternoon...too late for lunch & too early for dinner.

A cute raspberry scone, the last remaining, tittered coquettishly from under the glass; I inquired as to the provenance of the flour. "All purpose," was the reply. I slammed my fist on the counter and in my best irate patriarchal voice demanded, "Der Provenance! I vahnt to know der Provenance!"

The baker, smiled sweetly and said, "Try it, you'll like it."
Vell, alright zen, I VILL!, I said.

As I went to pick up the package, I noticed a smaller one beside it.

Vuht ist dis?! I roared.
The cashier, blinked her aquamarine eyes and cooed, "A complimentary brownie."

With my harumph I tried to express my total inability to respond to someone being nice. I did my best to look pleased, a delightful challenge when switching roles from an arrogant Burgermeister to a happy recipient of largesse.

They were both, scone & brownie, excellent! I can't wait to go back! I may even make a special trip.

blog: https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com

Currently near Blandon, trending northward.

No comments:

Post a Comment