Sunday, August 6, 2023

DIZMUZBEDUHPLACE

It's a plot by the campground owners; all the forest surrounding Bandon, Oregon is DAY USE ONLY. There're fluorescent yellow signs EVERYWHERE. Not that there's any enforcement, but it casts a pall over the area...not quite as bad as Mordor, but you get the idea.

So, we all ended up at a parking lot at the end of the road. I managed to secure a mere slip of a turnout a few hundred feet away from the rest

Haven't we seen these folks online?. 



They didn't emerge so
we had no opportunity to inquire


Vandalized tail-lights?



I tried a bit of well-intended remonstrance on this person about crossing the road, but it merely extended itself further as if I should mind my own business. I muttered, "It's your life." but after a few steps went back and carried it across. It didn't look grateful, but *I* felt better. 







I met two climbers, escapees from the mundanity who were traveling and doing what climbers do. I told of Hollis's friendship with Jan and Herb Conn and pointed them toward her blog about them hoping they'd be further encouraged. 

Thinking to help them escape ME, I exhorted them to RUN!...for me, as I used to. It brought tears to see them racing away, in their exuberant youthfulness (early 20s) with the flat, empty beach, the emerald-tipped waves and a gentle mist that make this part of the world so different...and, at that moment, a tad cool for standing still. 

Though it was only a few hundred feet or so, I had to stop several times on the way back to get my breath. I was sitting on a log when they came and invited me to yerba-maté.

They had finished their degrees, one in environmental science and the other in sociology & anthropology. He was good at working with wood and had done a nice job of building out the van's interior. She had taught climbing to special-ed children and had enjoyed seeing their personalities shift as they gained skill and learned to focus.

They were toying with the idea of returning to Hawai'i (where she was from) to open a climbing gym but in the meantime...

1 comment:

  1. thank you for helping the snail, I would too. Thanks especially for telling the climbers about Herb and Jan. I have more news about them and more to come (from Australia!), tho gone they continue to be an important fascinating project for me. Hope you're doing ok.

    ReplyDelete