Sunday, June 28, 2015

Eggbert's Successor

A little over a month ago as I was hitch-hiking back to camp, three journalists stopped to give me a ride. Andrew Collins wrote an article for Truck Yeah that introduced me to the website which you too might enjoy. It was while perusing a post that mentions the upcoming Dakar Rally I found mention of Puegot's entry...a hatchback.

The link below is to the article from whence I lifted the above picture. Of course, I'm confident I can find a better way to flaunt my stupidity than by having a black vehicle in the desert Southwest. But then, maybe not.

It's premature to think about retiring Eggbert; with barely more than 200k miles he has, in my esteemed opinion, only recently reached his majority. But there may come a day when parts are no longer available. Although I'm skeptical, this might be a contend'r to fill his shooz. Hopefully, it, like he, will get 50+ miles to the gallon (5.6 L/100 km).

Friday, June 19, 2015

REPAIRS, Attitood & Multi-culturalism

If you read Overland Journal you might notice how many folks have older vehicles. Rather than getting annoyed, they seem to accept repairs and maintenance as part of the deal. Which is interesting because a friend once defined my lifestyle as "a high tolerance for inconvenience." Aside from the fact that we Germans are naturally contrary, I allowed as how I have NO tolerance for inconvenience...dummkopf!!!

Thus, when I noticed an accumulation under the shift-shaft seal I took a leisurely stroll through the Geo Metro forum und scrutinizd der fixes. After two veeks uf vaiting for parts und tranzacting a special tool acquisition, it turned out to be more than I could handle. In the meantime, I completed a lengthy To-Do list. 

And as you can see from the photo, I haven't missed any meals either. (Along with the colors of their flag, the suspenders include der German eagle.) Yah!!! Das ist multi-culturalism!!

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Reek of Cattle

It's been barely more than 150 years since the days of open range. In that time over-grazing has changed the Western Landscape so dramatically it'll likely evolve rather than recover.

As I roam about, I often notice the flies and reek of cow manure. I'm disturbed by how many otherwise beautiful places are compromised by the disgusting odor of cow shit. And when I sit down to enjoy a meal and have to continually wave away flies, it's impossible not to think about what they're depositing on my food.

                                                                                                                    Photos by Karen Klitz
Additionally, the use of water to grow hay for stock has caused streams to dry up; where trout once were common, they are no more. Nearly every lake in the region has dropped by significant amounts. And many water-tables are only memories. All in the name of producing 3 percent of the nation's beef. The other 97 percent comes from the Midwest where there's lots of water and grass.

                                "Exclosures" keep the livestock out. 
They've been kept from getting at the vegetation on the "near" side of the fence.

There are many organizations attempting to preserve what's left, but two I admire are Advocates for the West and Western Watersheds Project. Both these non-profits file lawsuits (often collaboratively) against the National Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management to help mitigate the impact of livestock grazing. Both are renowned for their uncompromising approach to achieving their goals...something, in this case, I consider laudable.

As you enjoy the magnificent grandeur of our lands, please consider supporting either (or both) of these organizations. Your contribution will make a difference for all of us. 

Here's a recent case from Advocates for the West

and one from Western Watersheds Project