Friday, August 11, 2023

Clutch Adventure

Getting gas in Reedsport, the clutch went out. I have to turn off the engine to get it into first and reverse but once rolling I can shift it by matching the speed of the engine to the transmission.

The three shops in Reedsport are booked out for at least a week; Tuesday is the soonest anyone could look at her.



Thinking I could über around or rent a car while waiting, I decided to see wha'sup in Coos Bay. Brenda at the Bay Bridge Motel in North Bend, up the street from Coos Bay, said they could put me up for $81.00 a night with a kitchette...and her brother's a mechanic. After a couple of calls we agreed to meet at the Dollar General in Lakeside, a town about halfway between Reedsport and Coos Bay where he'll take a look at it.

2:36 pm Saturday

No sign of Brenda's brother, the mechanic. Über doesn't rent in Coos Bay. 

The cashier at Dollar General suggested Far West Auto & Tire in Coos Bay. Further!


The Toyota dealership's reviews of their rental cars are all top-drawer.


I only took four iso this morning. It's hard to know if yesterday's excitement was the cause of the tiredness or if I really need 5. But it was all I could do to take care of "morning bidness" and walk a ways in the other direction to empty my pee bottle. The memory of how tired I was from the effort a few days when I adjusted the clutch set me to cogitating on offering someone a hundred bucks to let me use their lift. Eventually though, I  threw the tarp down & managed to see it's not the adjustment; something gave out...the genesis of today's post.

5 comments:

  1. Shifting with no clutch - it's all about those RPMs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dollar General is indicative of much wrong about the U.S., corporate America,economics, increasing poverty, etc. That's not to say I've never gone to one but a mechanic in the parking lot does seem sketchy. Back in the VW ('66) days there was always something broken (heater controls, throttle cable, master brake cylinder, etc.) and I did master the 'no clutch' shift. Hopefully you'll find repair options and remain able to shift again...shifting one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art!

    By Jove, you're Prescient!

    He never showed. I left several mesages for Brenda telling her I'd be there at 2 pm. I waited 'til 3:15 then returned to Reedsort where there's better signal. Brenda texted at 5:15 with an apology and an excuse and offered to bring her brother to Reedsport today. I declined her offer and thinking of going to Coos Bay for repairs and, it being Saturday and all the repair shops closed, I began casting about for accomodation.

    Rents in Coos Bay run around $240 per night and are all full up. There're cheaper ones, but the reviews ranged from so-so to THE WORST EVER and the so-so ones were $150-$180 per night. The cheapee through Airbnb is a sofa bed with a roommate in a 27' RV for $70 a night.

    Eventually, a kindly motel owner (female) directed me to a shop in Florence, 25 miles to the north, with good reviews. There's a U-haul truck rental place and it's Sunday so it remains to be seen what the morrow will bring but my current plan is to rent a 10 x 10 box truck to live in until Phoebe's back on her feet. The truck'd cost about $300 for 5 days and the climbers I met a few posts back told of some dispersed camping not too far from Florence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The box truck would be a step up from "...living in a van down by the river..." and it would be roomy. In the upper midwest the mosquitos (I recommend "Mosquito Coast) would make that unbearable w/o screening. Weekends are depressing in general when it comes to vehicle breakdowns. Breakdowns combined with habitat/shelter issues combined w/ you health challenge(s) could be overwhelming. Monday s/b better...and as I write this the Orange Blob is being charged with election interference in GA and that makes it a good day.

      Delete
    2. Art!

      As usual, you nailed it.

      The van will be the topic of my next post, but I'm on the verge of over-whelmedness. (I'm trying to keep my insatiable curtiosity up about what "overwhelmed" is gonna be like.)

      Taheerah from Quest in Portland just called to set up my chart and schedule a ZOOM appointment with Dr. Lusijah Marx for Thursday, day after tomorrow.

      See: https://quest-center.org/lusijah-marx

      I saw Dr. Marx in a Youtube video of a tv story from early in 2022 after Oregon approved psilocybin-assisted therapy. Thinking there might be others at the organization, I contacted Quest through their online form.

      Dr. Marx's specialty is end-of-life anxiety. I may have hit the jackpot. The weirdest part is remembering how the 2020 infarction came out of nowhere. Every minute has that foreboding. It's a fascinatingly bizarre way to live.

      I returned to Florence to retrieve a few things from Phoebe and have signal to talk with Taheerah.

      Delete