Friday, January 13, 2023

Airing the Quilt

 

They don't make sleeping bags, not, at least, down sleeping bags, for people my size. I decided on a twin size quilt.

After several HOURS online comparing quality, I ordered the $800.00, offset-box, cold-sleeper (an extra ounce of down) model from Feathered Friends in Seattle. They said it'd take a few weeks.

That was 2020 and The Pandemic caused my investments to suddenly tank. A week later, with deep chagrin, I cancelled it.

This year for Christmas She-of-the-Capri bought me a twin-size from the Canadian Hutterites. It's changed my life...and the whole experience of sleeping.

Before, my layering began with a rectangular Slumberjack. On top of that I spread, quilt-like, a thin, hi-tech quallofil bag that the zipper had given out on.  On top of that came an old down sleeping bag I lucked into for $8.00 at the Animal Humane store in Hailey, Idaho. It served quite well until the zipper broke, but then it too got used quilt-like. But when the baffles stitching started coming out, the down insisted on moving to the outer edges. At first each night was toasty. But as gravity worked its magic, their nylon surfaces slid hither & yon and each time I was awakened by the cold, it was a bit like herding eels to get them all back in line.. 

All that is past. The hip pain has forced me into the drivers seat where, in a semi-recline, I stuff the old down bag around my feet and use it to cover me up to my hips.

The Hutterite comes over like a cloud. And though I miss beong able to lay on my side and read, the quilt is so soft that as I pull it over me all I can think of is the fur between her legs.





I've looked at clouds from both sides

No comments:

Post a Comment