Saturday, January 7, 2023

$5.00 - Check It Out

A month or so ago the $250.00 (felt) Stetson I got in a thrift shop for $10.00 finally gave up its ghost.

Today, after WEEKS of arduous searching I finally found a straw one at Goodwill. Although I've known all my life it's important to blend in, I've never been successful at it. But I enjoyed the "Jed Klampet" look of the Stetson,esp the hole in the front of the crown.



Out West it's a man's hat that distinguishes him. The plebes wear ball caps but the real men wear a cowboy hat. And that doesn't include the canvas wannabes from Ace Hardware or REI. 

When not being worn, the hat holds pride of place center dashboard. Clearly visible to oncoming motorists, it serves similarly to the way Harley drivers give their little waves of acknowledgement to each other.

I like to think it imparts enough incongruity to our general presence to evoke a smile now & then.

Practicing the pre-expectoration pucker

l



El Caporal






Today's brim adjustment


I'm working on a patch, an emblem
and maybe a brooch to go on the front.
Maybe a big purple "H" followed by "etero" extending around the side...
since "orientation" seems to want
flaunting these days.

I am appreciating the eye shade.

9.Apr.23 update - It lasted two months, barely.

1 comment:

  1. It's a point of interpretation. Conventionally 'hick' refers to someone from the countryside (check) who is considered unintelligent or uneducated. None of the definitions offered on a Google search makes reference to a hat as a class identifier...but language continues to evolve.

    ReplyDelete