Thursday, April 6, 2023

Wild Mechanicing Pt. II

See previous post for Preamble.


Around 1pm, prior to jacking, I tried loosening the lugnuts only to discover someone put an oddsized one on the right front and me without a spoon.

At the Autozone in Green Valley we found that not only was it odd but it was cross-threaded. And once the kind young man with a bag of personal tools got it off, there was no way to put another on...the stud needs replacing. 

Back at camp intending to do the brakes I discovered someone had tooken the rocks I collected to chock the wheels. They'd kindly left the 4 x 4 though. This being an erosional bajada, the only rocks are out on the main road where the grader leaves a few.

Back with chock-rocks, I jacked her up to realize I've completely forgotten how to do it.

While puzzling, I discovered a torn boot that looked like it was (had been) protecting the CV joints...WAY beyond my ability.

A call to Tadeo's in Douglas let me know they're closed tomorrow for Easter but they can look at it Monday. 

Thinking to take the scenic route from I-17 through to Alto and thence to Patagonia, I went south to Elephent Head road (paved road with turnoff to Whipple Observatory). Maps led me toward Whipple and FR 149....which goes to Alto. It's dirt and not as bad as some, but more than I want to subject whatever that boot was protecting to.




So now -- at 5:25 -- it's back to Sahuarita for tonight. Then out to I-10, east to Benson, then south to Tombstone, Bisbee & finally Douglas...139 miles.

So much for Wild Mechanikin'.

The longer days are making it easier.


2 comments:

  1. The names of your destination sound familiar. good memories. Good luck with your wild mechanikin. And here in The Yukon or Yukon who knows what it is called now, i think we use the term 'wild camping'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall if we went to Douglas, but we visited Patagonia Lake.

      Delete