Monday, April 10, 2023

Trump's Wall

Heckle & Jeckle just came by. They'd run up the mountain -- an increase in elevation of 1500' -- across the top of the ridge & were making their way back down. Hearing them blathering away, I was awestruck.

They cautioned me that I'm in a high risk area where groups of evil men running fentanyl would see me as a "picnic basket." 

When I pointed out The Wall, they slavered in delight at its 380 miles and lauded the man for having done more than anybody before to keep 'em out.

I'm just not fast enough to say, "Except the groups of dangerous fentanyl runners, eh?"

But they were all good cuz, and he patted his shoulder harness affectionately, they have guns. 


Initially, I was so impressed I'd asked for their photos. After five minutes I realized they were pathetic and was glad when they left.

That dark line running from the upper left toward the center of the image is it.

7 comments:

  1. I've pondered your vulnerability and that of Phoebe, concluding each likely to break down with the appearance of true bad people out there in the wild. Having a sidearm would probably not be a bad idea. On the other hand there is something to be said for getting whacked by a true bad person who survives, as opposed to the losers and punks who shoot up schools and co-workers. The fentanyl will keep coming. America is hooked. Stay safe. Maybe get a guard dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art!

      Hadn't heard from you in a while; nice to know you're still out there.

      A couple of intimidating incidents in Albuquerque prompted me, in my twenties, to buy a gun. I kept it until after the heart attack. After *that* incident I figured the ecxitement of an encounter would kill me before anyone did anything to me and I gave it and the shotgun away.

      Heckle & Jeckle reminded me of a character I met in 2010 when I drove to Palmer, Alaska. I'd stopped to inquire about a hot springs and the codger warned me that the bears would open the top of the car like a sardine can. Prior to this meeting I had a glimpse of a LARGE brown as I came onto the property at Yellowstone and later, in Canada, pulled a dead black bear out of the road. I was amazed by how little it weighed. In the nearly two months of travel I saw no other bears.

      I've had the occasional encounter with possessive ranchers who I've either placated or met with equal and/or greater aggression, depending on my mood. We never came to blows, let alone weapons. A 7-iron hangs where I used to keep the 20-guage.

      Delete
    2. Ha. While I may have a loaded handgun in reach, I also keep a 7 iron nearby. It was the source of a hole-in-one years ago so I've keep. Golf clubs result in much greater speed...but may leave a divot. Bears are another story. Most of my encounters are with black bears and other when encounters a mother protecting a cub or a male trying to kill the cub, they grunt and leave.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I am still 'out there' although Google usually thinks I am 'Anonymous' instead of 'Art' and there might be consideration of whether I'm Art or not, too. Winter was long. Spring is chaotic. Traction. We're all looking for traction, resistance, slippage and...not needing a wall or having to look at a wall.

      Delete
    4. As for a guard dog, tho I came to cats late, in my thirties, as with former smokers who cannot abide the reek, I'm now definitely a cat guy.

      Delete
  2. They sell a lot of t-shirts in Mexico that say, " Keep Calm. You are on the Fun Side of the Wall."

    ReplyDelete