Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Crowded

No sooner had I shut off the motor at 7 pm than someone started shooting. It was hard to tell how close they were but I decided to take the hint. Besides, the highway noise was too loud.

I scouted two other places; they were all full. Turning into my last-ditch effort, it was nearing last-light as I headed down a rocky trail away from the near-highway-horde. About a mile out I came across an intrepid in the nice spot next to the juniper; we kept going.

A half-mile later we were crawling up the far side of the valley avoiding the gulley that'd formed where the road used to be. At a breather spot I switched into 4 whl low and we commenced to climb. It's true, I'm a lightweight when it comes to four-wheeling but I've had one passenger get out and walk when I KNEW we were okay. Still, I don't have the cash for a rescue or breakdown so I drive accordingly.

We came out onto the sweetest little grassy hilltop since Heidi. And it wasn't occupied.







No comments:

Post a Comment