Friday, April 14, 2023

Chitina or Bust

In Wager With the Wind: The Don Sheldon Story, it's told how Don took his new bride to Chitina because it embodies the beauty of Alaska.

Reading about Don inspired me to think about visiting Chitina. And now that Canada is open, my having only gotten one of the two-shot Moderna doses is no longer an impediment.

Looking ahead, I googled Chitina which led to Spirit Mountain Artworks which led to Art's jewelry site on Flickr. It's some of the most original work I've seen and as of today, April 14, 2023, has only had 837 views.

Tapping either of the images below will take you to the site.





Phoebe is now feeling better than James Brown and tomorrow, after collecting mail in Sahuarita, we can head north.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. I loved traveling in Canada when I went to Palmer, Alaska in 2010.

    The largest building in Whitehorse was the arts center. It sat upon a hill at the edge of town. EVERYONE in the town spoke *at least* five languages.

    Many of the people are relatively recent immigrants and/or first-generation descendents. And, at least from whaI saw, there's a much greater appreciation of diversity...at least in the west.

    That said, I recently met a guy from Montreal who said the folks there feel toward Americans the way Americans are said to feel toward Mexicans. (I use the moniker "Mexicans" rather than Hispanics as I don't think those who're prejudiced consider Hispanics' Spanish heritage.)

    ReplyDelete