Saturday, November 19, 2022

The Hazards of Piddling

I'm 4.5 miles south of I-8 and the road, all along the way, is CAMPED UP! Everyone has 1,000 acres, but every space is taken.

It was almost dark when I got to a BLM road. I fired up the GPS to note the location on the laptop. Climbing back into the cab, I noticed a light. I couldn't guage the distance, but drove ahead, thinking to find a place beyond them. 

Almost imnediately I discovered they were only a few hundred feet ahead. I went past but after about 1,000 feet, there was an impassable wash. Fortunately, the road took a sharp dip just before. By now it was completely dark and I was exhausted. I made camp. I'm too close for proper etiquette, but we can't see each other...I just hope they don't have a dog.



Sheesh! Two years ago no one was out here. 

I got going today at 4:00 pm, so had an hour and a half to drive which, for me, translates to 45 minutes. I stopped in Gila Bend to get water and drove the remaining half hour (with the sun above the horizon) to the exit. I drove into four possible sites before finally settling here. The first two were still too noisy and the others were taken....with vehicles hidden by vegetation until I got close.

In one of Michael Pollan's books he interviewed an Idaho potato farmer. The family had a garden where they grew theirs. The farmer said they wouldn't eat the ones grown for commercial sale...too many chemicals 

I was surprised by how much cleaner the organics were. The rinse water for the regulars was muddy, but the water for these was so clean I used it to rinse dishes.

4 comments:

  1. I wil l look for, after i write this comment, if i see a box to tick off to receive a notification if you or someone else also posts a comment here.
    The organic potatoes story interesting, I think it also might have to do with what kind of soil they were grown in, my soil here heavy clay, which will stick to my totally organic patatoes. But you made me think, I grew up on a potato farm, not organic, our potatoes, we dusted them with an anti fungal, before cooking we would peel them and wash them thoroughly, as not to ingest the poison we put on them, go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops i forgot to click the box. will do it now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a gratuitous comment to see if the Notify Me is working

      Delete