Thursday, November 24, 2022

Clutch Entertainment

One can't be too sure about these things, but I believe this is the third clutch since May, 2017.

I started on it yesterday when I determined there was no more adjustment on the clutch cable. Thinking to create more pull, I crafted a bushing from a cane tip. It didn't work.



I went into 4wd-lo got up onto the stump which gave easy access....but not good for sleeping. By yanking on the shift lever we achieved nuetral and rolled to level.

Today it's all up to the jack and maybe digging out a pit. I have an idea I've yet to try...plenty of food and water. I am, for the moment, taking my time.





LUNCH



Canned mixed vegetables -- carrots, potatoes, peas, corn, green beans, celery, lima beans -- dolmas (canned) with sardine patΓ© on cracker. Mixed vegetables seasoned with salt & pepper and they & sardines got a dollop of mayonnaise.

All chased with a small sip or two of wine.

After Lunch



I did some light machining on the clutch adjustment nut to help it turn more easily. That isn't the problem, but it's something that needed doing.



2:04pm -- SUCCESS!! The bushing ended up working; it just needed to seat better. It then enabled further adjustment.

It's gonna need additional work, but I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed we can make it to the hardware store. 

Afternoon Light




Phoebe In Upper Right



7 comments:

  1. There was a guy of Germanic descent, over-influenced by the flawed engineer from "Flight of the Phoenix" and over-impressed by the artful placement of a notoriously flimsy scissors jack on top of a 'found object' rock. There were no witnesses but much squirming and thrashing occurred with said 'Phoebe' upon his chest. It was her time to 'be on top.' The coyotes gnawed away until the desert heat turned fresh meat to carrion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art! Der engineer vas nicht ein Deutschlander!

    Pleez lookinz at der photogaphique mit der vize grips. Und vaht seeinz Sie mein Herr? A lawg...unter der tyre, yah? Und vunce der lawg vuz wedged, vee lower der jack to hold zee frame up juuust uh little. Eeffen if der jack fail, zee frame not kommin far enuff to pinninz mir.

    Der coyotes lookinz vut I do und sagen, "Aw, mmaaaaaAAAANNN!" (likenz der Jungend in Dav Pilkey's *Captain Underpants*

    HAH! und Zo there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art,

    How is it that you happen to know of this famous cult film that has yet to accumulate its following?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when film and photography were serious commitments for me. Most of what I know and relish is more or less fifty years ago. I had to look up the year. 1965. Heinrich Dorfmann (as Hardy Kruger). There are a lot of films, a few years of German and lot of airplane details that emerge from my head every once in a while. More practical is the truth that all scissors jacks fail.

      Delete
  4. OMG! Der engineer Vas ein Deutschlander!!!

    Schtill, Vee are not in-ter-ested in prakticality, Herr Art. Zat ist for der schlide rooler peeple. Vee pride ourzelfs on managing mit out any zense, uf usefulness or uddervize.

    I'm a fan of Stewart. *It's A Wonderful Life* and *Harvey* were very moving.

    Please recommend other films. My knowledge is practically nil.

    I'm here, near Tucson, for the cultural amenities. The University museum is the repository for Richard Avedon's work. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

    https://ccp.arizona.edu/exhibitions

    Before I went to University at age 33, I spent several years as a mechanic for an equipment rental company. I worked on everything from forklifts and backhoes to chainsaws and tampers. I spent alot of time underneath heavy stuff and was duly impressed by the risks. I would never trust to a scissors jack alone...they are known to fail.

    Happy Kris Kringle Day! πŸŽ„πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) your lunch salt content will kill you before the scissors jack will 2) heavy stuff...OK...I worked summers as a house mover...the houses, power lines and rats did not get me 3) chainsaws? I own five Stihl saws. awesome. Quite a few 'climbers' from the tree crews have switched to the battery saws; of course they all lost their hearing long ago.

    ReplyDelete