Friday, November 4, 2022

Retiring the Stetson

Its origin-story has been lost in the myriad vagaries that now constitute my "alleged" mind. 

I only washed it once before but this last one, a week or so ago, did it in.




Never having had a Stetson before, I was skeptical. I have a vague recollection of balking at its $10.00 price, but after looking them up online, decided to splurge. Besides, it had "patina."




The years have streamed by; it's been sat on, smushed between luggage and always bounced back. Most interestingly to me, it hasn't managed to be lost.





Always on the lookout for gifts, the purple frog caught my eye. It never found a home and thinking I'd gained a certain infamy from my big mouth, and seeing as how my girth had expanded to Truly Prodigious, I decided to adopt it as my latest avatar (badger was another); it garnered a few compliments which gave the opportunity to relate the preceding and give Mr. Stomach an affectionate pat.

I saw a "Rodeo King" on a guy the other day. He got it from C.A.L. Ranch. But can you sit on it? Can you crush it beneath luggage? 

In the meantime, I have this splendid watch-cap that came as a gift.




As warm and cosy as it is, it just doesn't lend the proper "air" when I walk into a bar, everyone turns to look, and I go into a glaring crouch with my hands out at my sides, fingers twitching.






8 comments:

  1. You did not throw it out, now did you? That would be so sad. Could you maybe just wear it till it falls of your head by it self?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to admit it, but yes, I DID throw it out. It was felt and I wore it for warmth and to shield my eyes. When the big hole appeared in the top it would no longer hold its shape...the sides drooped and all the heat went out the top. As you know, in this lifestyle there's very little room for things that aren't performing a function.

      Delete
  2. Begin a quest for a new Stetson. The watch cap is for sailors, gang bangers and those north of the Mason Dixon Line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quest has begun!

      Based on your advice, I'll only wear the watch cap when no one's around.

      Delete
  3. My great uncle, quite the working cowboy, said to NEVER wash a hat like this. He also didn't believe in dry cleaning. I have seen him use Fels Naptha on spots with a special little brush. If you get another one of these hats, that's something to remember to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon,

    Thanks for the tip. I suspected there was a better way, but finding you seemed impossible. And yet, here you are.

    The hat has been on its last legs for a while and I've actually been on the lookout for its replacement for several months. Still, I felt bad that it came apart the way it did.

    Where does one GET Fels Naptha? You're the first person to mention it in over 50 years...reminds me of terpin hydrate & codeine, an ancient cold remedy rarely available anymore.

    ReplyDelete