Thursday, November 10, 2022

A Close Call

It was dark. Suddenly there was a turn, a steep incline, rocks and ruts. "Not in the dark," I said and backed down. I made camp a couple hundred feet away. In the morning I discovered a deep canyon with a straight dropoff.





Blind in one eye, my ability to guage distance is not  good, but I'm gonna say the first ledge is about 12-15 feet down. The second, the brown spot, about 60 more.



It's about 15 feet to the lip of the first ledge.
It would've only been natural to do an end-over-end. Duh sekunt flip woulda bin ober d'lip.



Looking at my tracks, I saw I'd backed onto a small turnout opposite the dropoff.


The faint lines cutting the diagonal from lower left to upper middle and upper right are Phoebe''s.

If I'd turned the other way I'd have gone over. 

What's that saying about drunks and fools?

5 comments:

  1. Old, one-eyed, and driving around canyons in the dark. Mothers the world over just cringed in despair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fool's gotta do what idiots know better than to try.

      Delete
  2. That was your lotto win. You didn’t even have to buy a ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true...I'm a lucky man.

      I just hope my guardian angel doesn't get exasperated.

      Delete