Wednesday, September 7, 2022

The Pianist

We were perusing the bread. As she leaned slightly in front of me to retrieve her selection, she apologized. After reassuring her, I asked about her pick; it was sourdough. And then, without further ado, we commenced.




She'd moved down from Halfway onto 30 acres and was "spraying weeds." Her eyes lit up when I mentioned the accordion, adding that she'd put in a request (somewhere) to be alerted if "one came in."

She'd started playing the piano at age three but it wasn't until 7 they got her a teacher. She went at it all day, motivating the brothers to cover their ears and plead, "Make her stooooop!"



When I asked how she'd come to Baker she said it was a long story; I suggested we find somewhere to sit, but she had animals waiting to be fed. She suggested lunch in a couple of days. Whupping out my "card," I enthusiastically agreed.

I found a spot a few miles south of Baker with good cell and spent the first day recovering from doing laundry and shopping.

The weather shifted and by the end of the third day it was getting pretty chilly. Time to head south.

But there were twenty minutes or so there where I, once again, experienced the magic of "connection."

2 comments:

  1. Connections. I must a been playing hooky the day they taught that class. Never can seem to get the knack of it.
    As Rose from the Golden Girls said: "I was a good girl. I only played hooky once. Of course it was the day they taught EVERYTHING!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can STILL see the smile of the sparkly-eyed, curly-haired cutie with glasses who, in kindergarten, didn't seem to mind that I wanted to sit next to her. By third grade I was chasing FOUR!

      The one I'm now visiting I chanced upon in the wilds of Nevada 10 years ago. As we commenced she said, "Let's move away from the highway where we can hear each other better." No fear...no games.

      Each has appeared through serendipitious circumstances...not taught.

      Delete