Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A Night to Forget

Tired from my meeting with the dakini, I took a room at the Silver Saddle motel in Santa Fe. For dinner I gorged on a delicious meal of fajitas from one of the many family-owned restaurants;  it included more grease and fat than I've eaten in years. 

Tuesday I drove to Jemez Springs and spent the day resting and late in the afternoon went to the Ojito Wilderness to camp.

As evening came on the wind came up and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees; by dark it was cold. Without signal I had no way to know what the weather might be but April in these parts can often include snow.

Around 10 p.m. I was forced to get out....and the "looseness" was disconcerting. Two more trips over the next hour had me hoping I might make it through the night, but it was not to be.

Around 1 a.m. I was awakened with a "full load" in my underpants. By the time I managed to exit into the night the bag was soiled beyond use. 

I estimated the breeze at around 25 - 30 knots and could only guess at the wind chill... "bracing" to say the least. (post event research suggested the temp was in the low 30s.)

After swabbing the lower half of my body as best I could, I rolled the bag and tossed it onto the roof rack.

Cosmically, or so it now seemed, I'd found a sleeping bag behind a gas station the day b4. It was neatly rolled and bound with twine...nothing and no one else around. I debated taking it, but after some thought went ahead. I planned to launder it b4 use, but I had no hesitation as I cut the twine. It was a pleasant surprise to find it was clean with no smell at all though the pilled flannel lining indicated it was far from new.

It's incidences like this that incline me to believe in a "higher power" though even that phrase smacks a bit too much, for me, of dogma. Still, after standing in a  "breeze" at near-freezing temp to swab shit off most of my lower body, I couldn't help but marvel at the "coincidence."

It sure was good going down, though.

7 comments:

  1. Wha a shitty thing to have to go through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, you ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

      Michelle's too much of a sweetheart to go there, but I could ALMOST imagine her saying something about the benefits of indoor plumbing...a stipulated amenity when we travel together.

      At least it didn't snow...or rain, even.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I finally was able to get the sleeping bag washed yesterday.(fatigue has been worse than ever) And though it's not pristine, I don't feel I need to replace it. $8.00 for wash and dry is still better than $50 for a new one.

      Delete
  3. It might be time to 'adult-diaper' as in the astronaut who drove non-stop across the country to kill a lover's spouse or a lover spurned ... maybe just to kill time by avoiding stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art!! You're prescient!

      The diarrhea cleared after several days but then the whole system went wonky. Constipation set in as the urinary function went to random. Suddenly I had no control and frequent dribbles. I got some diapers...and was wearing two but had to get up in the middle of the night to change. I noticed my sleeping bag was saturated, apparently they leak. (pee is more tolerable than feces though).

      In the morning it was the same story.

      Having said my goodbyes to Michelle and Kristen, I took some acid and began assembling the R2D only to discover the soda-lime cannisters had cracked. I ordered another unit, but have no idea when it will arrive...but I have a couple more hits of acid.

      It's been so strange. Up until a few days ago I faced death with the terror of an animal pursued by a predator. A micro-dose of LSD completely dispelled the feeling. So today, after discovering the cracked cannisters, I settled in for an afternoon of music.

      Allow me to commend to you, again, Patricia Kopatchinskaja playing Beethoven's violin concerto.

      https://youtu.be/xr9KmgDFwMc

      Listen for her exquisite smoothness as she releases that highest note....each time. UnbeLIEVABLE!!!!

      Delete
  4. I've dealt with a number of seniors, most with a few years on you, but all subject at times to distress 'of evacuation.' The urinary incontinence would be of concern but...there's a lot of equipment sharing space 'down there.' Distress leads to other issues. Drink water. You're dehydrated. The cracked canisters might be a message...or not.

    ReplyDelete