Saturday, December 18, 2021

Day's Inn - Part II

 See previous post for "Introduction."


With the heater off the sounds of Albuquerque were right outside the door. Perhaps it's its proximity to Mexico, perhaps it's just the times, but there seems to be an inordinate fascination with loud -- or no -- mufflers. The blatting of the cars, trucks and motorcycles is noted (I discovered) by other motel residents (not just Day's Inn) who wrote of their experience. And it's only Thursday!

I called the Wyndham reservation line to cancel for the next night and ask for a refund. That took 25 minutes and 11 seconds. Come to find out the fellow that checked me in is the owner. When I'd asked, at check-in, he'd denied it saying "I just work here." (I wanted to know who to blame for the $200 deposit.)

I managed to drift off around midnight only to be awakened at 2:40 a.m. by a manic stroller cruising the parapet. He was either on his phone or, as it sounded, blathering lyrically to himself. He came by twice in the next ten minutes, loud enough to ensure full wakefulness.

The hours crawled by. It actually got quiet for ten minutes around 6:00 a.m.

At 7:00 a.m. I contacted Wyndham Customer Service; it was less than satisfying. The rep called the front desk and said she'd talked with Alley (in case you have the pleasure) and they'd cancelled my reservation for Friday...no mention of refund. When I went to check out and retrieve the deposit, Security was within arm's reach. Alley made no inquiry of why I was checking out, smiling pleasantly while noting they'd cancelled my non-cancellable reservation.

Later, I again called Customer Service to see about a refund. I was told I should've addressed the issues with the Manager and requested a refund from them. There's a chance I'll get a refund in a week after my case has been reviewed by Wyndham and the Manager.

You can imagine AirBnb's investors rubbing their palms together and smiling with satisfaction at their expanding empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment