Sunday, December 26, 2021

Benson Resupply

It was 50 miles into town. But I was out of food and propane.


The forecast was for rain, but as the morning progressed the sky got bluer.


At 1:00, we were on the road...a half-hour early.


I gave out several Western Watersheds Project newsletters to folks coming in. I was pleasantly surprised when the first one asked, "You're saying we should stop supporting these rangeland Queens and return the land to habitat?" A bit taken aback by the use of "Queens," I had to allow they often behave like miffed royalty, pouting and sucking their thumbs. The others were polite and attentive to my spiel, and at least feigned interest.



Near sunset, the eternal question begged: Where to now brown cow? The musicians I met the other day commended Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area. Following a Google to make sure it hadn't succumbed to Covid and another query about distance, we set off. 


But what with interacting with all the people and enduring the loud blatting and backfire (at the gas station) of a couple of Dennis Hopper wannabes 


not to mention the resupply shopping, I'z z'austed. So though we (Phoebe and I) didn't go back to perzackly from whence we came, we ended up close.


Tuh-morowz anudder day; so we hope. 

4 comments:

  1. OK. Hopper and Fonda were icons. That's pretty good from a lame movie. I have no idea what my point was in making this comment. Oh...as beautiful as the American SW may be I could not stand the off-road stuff. Of course the motocross people might look at Phoebe and likewise be annoyed. I repeat...no point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art! You ole provocateur!

      First reaction was young Mr. Neil Young's song: Pointless, pointless, pointless...a fav of Double-els.

      Then came: I kinda like not having a point, it leaves things open-ended.

      These were quickly followed on by your gracious overlook-ment of the various errors in the post...the most glaring being its general blandness.

      Always good to know you're still out there. THAT seems like a splendid point!

      Happy Holidays!!

      Delete
  2. I come to the defense of Peter Fonda at times because of his role in the move, Ulee's Gold. Beekeeper in FL with a totally broken family. The movie is recommended. I have been a beekeeper for 58 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art, I'm touched by your suggestion. I have a decent relationship with bees; today they were after the residue in a cranberry sauce can. Finally, after making sure everyone was out of the trash bag, I double-bagged it. That settled the issue.

      I read some reviews and although it sounds enticing, it comes too close to home. My own past is riddled with similar tales and I too must keep those doors closed.

      I've spent much of my life trying to regain access to my emotions and now, having had a measure of success, I've had to acknowledge my inability to separate fiction from reality. In other words: my imagination is too great.

      Thanks though.

      How'd you get into bee-keeping?

      I still love drinking honey straight from the jar.

      Delete