Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Home is Where You Stand - Pico Iyer

His last sentence is where I've come to.


Where is Home?




I "liked" this comment...


The only thing I'm a bit worried about when it comes to this kind of Utopian "We're all one!" type stuff is that all the different cultures, traditions etc. will be lost. At that point there will never be a single reason to ever travel again. Why would you bother if it's all just a bland mix of everything? I enjoy seeing French culture in France, Norwegian culture in Norway, Japanese culture in Japan, Vietnamese culture in Vietnam, Kenyan culture in Kenya, Peruvian culture in Peru etc. Losing them would be tragic in my opinion, and I fear that this "homeless" kind of people he's talking about would lead to that. If there's no longer anyone calling themselves Scottish or Moroccan then there's no Scottish or Moroccan culture left. I don't see how that could possibly be a good thing. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment