Saturday, October 14, 2023

Squidgewood Manor

Originally a 900 sq ft bungalow in a somnolent, blue-collar neighborhood made up of folks who worked in the maintenace departments of Sandia National Laboratories or the University, it's slowly deteriorated into a marginal hodge-podge of minor criminals with pitbulls, retired children of parents-long-dead, and a few leftovers, like us, from days of yore when those who chose to remain childless and were satisfied with saving our money for other purposes besides bigger & better stayed on despite the influx of hoi-polloi. 

Self-designated as "Squidges," the interior, besides pragmatism, functions as an extension of our aesthetic and a museum of our lives. We each have a display case that protects some of our treasures.


Mine is somewhat "compromised" by one of Michelle's tableaus on top, but the ceramic rhinocerous and poodle-lamp were my purchases.





To the right is Aunt Ree-Ree's hi-fi. It's a rudimentary model, nothing fancy, a radio and record player. But the RCA Victor logo with the dog listening at the "megaphone" makes it a keeper.









On top, another collection. Let no flat surface go unused.




Michelle's contains some of her childhood stuffed animals. I rescued the descending leopard from a dumpster outside a private zoo.



I found the 1920s J.C. Penny chair in tatters in the student ghetto and had it rebuilt by the now-deceased Mr. Foster of Foster's Upholstery. Mr. Foster, along with his staff of two Native American men, were the restorers to the stars of Albuquerque. His inventory of exotic fabrics and incredible level of expertise -- he was in his late 70s then -- meant all the rich and famous brought their heirloom Louis IVX and other furniture to him.

The chair was restored with mohair wool at $125.00/yd, resprung, with its cushion newly stuffed and covers for the ends of the arms for a mere $500.00, at least 2/3 of which was fabric. It's hard to imagine how the man made a living. A bean pole, he wore denim overalls and looked for all the world like the gentleman in the picture below. 

American Gothic by Grant Wood



The purple cushion was a gift from architect-builder Erica Enyart, a collector of Michelle's serigraphs, one of which, Raised In Captivity, is next to Little Weasel.

Little Weasel, the painting above the chair, is by Vince Distasio. Michelle "discovered" Vince at the 1992 Southwest Arts & Crafts Fair where she too was exhibiting. The black sheep of a well-to-do East Coast family, he had an undergraduate degree in biology and a Masters in Political Science, both from the University of Notre Dame. After a year in Europe, he married a German woman and moved to Cuba, New Mexico where, in ca. 1976, when White people had to be out of town by sundown, Vince taught highschool biology and cowboyed during the summers.


4 comments:

  1. It was never clear that you had a 'place' other than Phoebe...and it has things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art!

      In '93 I was winding up a stint as Marketing Director of a 20M credit union. I had met Michelle's mom a year or so earlier at my sister's wedding and she'd button-holed me about helping Michelle market her art. One thing had led to another and in '93 I leased a thousand-foot gallery space on Central Avenue a few blocks west of The University.

      I was in an apartment near downtown Albuq across from a transmission shop and the sound of the pneumatic tools was driving me nuts. After a nine-month courtship, Michelle was willing and I moved in with her in her 1100 sq ft bungalow in the Northeast Heights, as the neighborhood is known.

      At its peak I represented around 20 artists and was grossing $50k/yr. Michelle helped with the gallery and our other businesses and for about ten years we had a steady accumulation of memorabilia and art.

      In 2004, I became involved with Frayda and in order not to disrupt Michelle with my comings and goings, moved into an apartment. Frayda died in 2006 and I went into a trough of depression. It took several years to shut everything down and in 2010 I took the family archives to my brother in Austin, Texas. It was then I went to Palmer, Alaska, in Eggbert, the 3-cylinder hatchback, to say goodbye to Canice,

      https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com/2014/04/help.html?m=1

      who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I didn't expect to return, but on the way I met Jozien.

      https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com/2018/08/jozien.html?m=1

      Jozien revived my enthusiasm and the rest, as they say, is history.

      How're you faring? Is it winter where you are?

      Delete
    2. That's a good life. A simple place to be grounded at times is good and consolidation of 'treasures' likewise simplifies the needed dimensions. I'm in the process of getting rid of treasures (mostly on eBay) and find little desire for more. Winter will come soon. Around 1991 we received 3' of snow on Halloween. It never melted until spring. That was an extreme. We've not had a hard frost. Normally that occurs by the first full moon of OCT. It's been mixed bag of accomplishments lately and slow acceptance of unachieved potential in life. But it is what it is.

      Delete
    3. Art,

      I reread your comment on the 3.Jan.23 post about your friend with cancer and am wondering how things went? Surely you recognize the 'achievement' your contribution made there? I've been trying to climb further out on the 'limb of vulnerability,' but maybe this is too much for public consumption? Email?

      Kristen and I too have been wrangling the missed opportunities...the unfulfilled dimensions. I know how lucky I've been though and am grateful. But that is not The Way of the Cat. Cats continually ask, "What've you done for me lately?" I keep pressing the goddess by asking "What next?"

      Winter! I still don't know where you are but it sounds too cold. My Canadian friends go south to The Yucatan for the cold months; are you unable to travel?

      Delete