Wednesday, October 4, 2023

I Live Here

Today we, She-of-the-Capri and I, celebrated our seventh anniversary. 

Two, count 'em, TWO side-by-sides went by today;  there was at least one plane. The first was a foursome of guys all done up in their camo best. They looked like a diff version of the pink jeep in the post...

https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com/2021/11/sedona.html?m=1

The other was an elderly couple. They were kind and suggested Trail Mater if ever I was near Moab and needed a tow.

The first mentioned a sand trap a mere two hundred feet away. After walking it a ways I was considering returning to Ten Mile Rd. It was barely a mile to the main thoroughfare though and if I went back I'd have to go through Moab in order to circle back.


After Surviving Duma Pt Rd's DEEP Sand




Tombstone Butte


After reading about airing down (amazing to have cell signal out here!) I decided to drop another 5 and try it at 15. It made all the difference. Where yesterday's sands felt marginal at 20 psi, 15 imbued a bit of confidence. Some even go as low as ten. Live and learn.

A Bit Earlier


(Changing a tire now requires two days to recover. The idea of spending a day, maybe two, cutting sage, setting the jack in sand, lowering and moving forward perhaps a few feet, rinse and repeat, didn't appeal. It was only 39 miles to Moab, but MAPS says it's over an hour drive. Moab Motorsports (aka Trail Mater) charges $150/hr. Thus, getting "rescued" would be an expensive lesson in limitations. But here, hold my martini.)


At Its Base



The great thing about nomadicism is not having to go back to get home. I just put out the table & chair, grab the cheese & crackers, and Bob's yer uncle. I went two miles toward Dubinky Well when, overwhelmed by the magnificence of Tombstone Butte, I began considering the options. 



Some map perusal disclosed the point, ten miles in the other direction, of the road's end above the Green River.


One-point-nine-miles toward The End, six o'clock came; time to make camp. It coincided with a beautiful view and soon thereafter, a magnificent sunset. So far I've had it to myself. Apparently, I'm the only one who lives here.

1 comment:

  1. A pretty impressive butte. And wonderful to see that you are still out and about.

    ReplyDelete