Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Jonathans

I'm gonna blame the elevation of 5360' for the lethargy. I managed to circumambulate the adjoining block where there's an apple tree.


Jonathans With Commercial Honeycrisp



The lovely owner, who looked every bit of a day over 90, was kind enough to, when I asked, encourage me to take a pocketfull. Maybe tomorrow, when the light is right, I can get some pictures.

Out for my evening amble, Cole & Gordon knew a likely prospect when they saw one. 



The way they opined the lack of salted caramel made me wonder if they'd bought 'em all themselves. It being too far back to the car for me to walk, I sent 'em off tuh fetch my wallet.


I've forgotten where I found the wallet, but the lanyard was made by a retired banking executive who had a leathergoods shop in Quincy, California. It's a teensy li'l place, hardly more than a walk-in closet, but if you're up that way it's worth checking out. Cole (the younger) noticed the John Deere emblem.

With four flavors I had to, of course, get one of each.




Cole knew the Albuquerque song, a tune I'd somehow -- in all my 48 years there -- missed.


Gordon had seven knives on him. Three on his belt and four more in his pockets. 






So then, it's dark and I'm unrolling my sleeping bag when a voice calls, "Hello!" and a young Hispanic woman tells how their car is overheated and asks if I can help. I explain I'm just a tenant and know very little about cars. They're from Delta. Eventually we get the hood up and she assures me he topped off the radiator this morning. All the belts are there and no other obvious signs of trouble. I suggest the motel, apologize for not being more helpful and turn away.

I need drinking water and the spigot is on the other side of the building. As I'm filling the jug, the young man goes by with a couple of gallons of antifreeze. Back at the car I see he's got the radiator cap off. I hold my headlamp so he can see to pour. After the two gallons we switch to my jug. It takes another gallon and a half; the temperature guage is now in the middle. They're still worried that it'll go up when they drive it. I suggest driving two blocks to test it. They do and when they come back the guage is still in the middle. I tell them they'll make it home and after a few minutes they leave.

I did what I could. Isn't that what we all do?

5 comments:

  1. ha normally i do not look at
    little videos, but i could not resist this one, super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, doing what one can is what one should do. Hopefully they reciprocated by filling your water jug. Anti-freeze is tasty, somewhat sweet...and fatal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art! How're you doing? Did your friend die?

      I looked up anti-freeze an saw, over a couple of days, it causes renal failure. Not a pleasant way to go.

      Fortunately, Richard Avocet has come out with his new version of the Rebreather. This one uses a small, nitrogen-filled cartridge that, unlike the soda-lime crystals in the previous version, has an indefinite shelf-life. See: https://r2d.respiro.global/

      Was her "transition" peaceful?

      Delete
  3. Previous 'anonymous' = Art

    ReplyDelete