Sunday, July 30, 2023

Soul Feet Retreat - Connie McDonald

The power of touch...


There was a period, I've forgotten how long, perhaps as much as two years, when I split the week between the Michellles (three els when mentioned collectively). The partings were always tearful, but we needed each other...and now, thirty-five years later, though not as often, still do.

It's that poignancy that now, again, tears at my heart. Sitting, alone in the theater...the footlights still on, they gave me a key so I could lock up when I leave.

How to leave you?...the few who care. To give heart....to, in some way, make this final transition easier...fun even? Can you imagine?


 Blue along the narrower side

I'm drawn, time and again, to a recollection of Laura Huxley telling how she agreed to Aldous's request that she inject him with LSD as he died. It's been years since I read her account, but my awe at his curiosity...and their resolve, remains.


Each of us, in our own little universe...our theater. 


After four months of barely able to "do," I increased the isosorbide another 30mg twice a day...60mg over the maximum suggested dose. It caused a flaring like those Kübler-Ross said happen now & then. I was in the Gold Beach (Oregon) library reading *Your Brain On Art* (Magsamen & Ross, Random House, 2023) and emailed the mention of Jeff Thompson's sound-healing work to a friend with similar interests. In his reply he enthused about his escape from Albuquerque, his return to his home-town (Seattle), his enjoyment of reconnectioning with family and friends and his many new projects.

Googling, I discovered the Seattle Opera is presenting Das Rheingold. I bought a ticket and booked myself into four days at an Airbnb south of the downtown. 

This morning I awoke to the tiredness. I contacted the hosts and in an embarassed synopsis explained why I was cancelling. The ticket is non-refundable.

Granny spent her last ambulatory years (approx 6) living with my mom and sister. When she became bed-ridden Mom could no longer care for her sufficiently and began looking for an assisted-living facility. In the meantime, Granny spent nearly six months in the New Mexico Home for the Aged in Las Vegas. Mom made the 244-mile, round-trip drive several times a week to be with her. I went a couple of times. 

On one of the early visits I watched as Mom spent time with the woman who shared Granny's room. She lay on her back with her thin, arthritic hands held in front of her in a posture similar to a praying mantis; her fingers curled claw-like. She appeared unresponsive, but each time Mom took a few minutes to hold the woman's hands and talk with her. 

As the time neared for Granny's move, I went to help gather her things and do what I could. When I entered her room I was astonished to see her roommate sitting up in bed, eating....holding a bowl and using a spoon. Mom never said much about it, just that, over that six months, with that little bit of touch, the woman had returned to life. I have no idea how old she was; she looked to be in her mid to late eighties.

The other night I dreamt I was running. I knew in my dream it'd been years since I'd been able to run and I was exhilirated. I awoke feeling enthused, not in anticipation, but with the memory of having once been able.

My memory has never been good and now, even sometimes with substantiative promptings, I can't recall things.

I keep notes to try and guage my acuity while speculating about Alzheimer's. The blog serves its purpose as a reference. But lately there's been little exhiliration and that needs to change. Perhaps intermittent cat-lackeying?

The YOUR BRAIN ON ART website

Connie McDonald's massage (Soul Feet Retreat) today in Crescent City was incredible!


2 comments:

  1. That is the issue with the drugs; new oil in an old truck no longer promotes longevity. A dear friend, fighting cancer, is now maxed on on pain medication and yet the cancel is in her bones, not her organs. Each long day is painful but yet a day to share a bit, to find those moments of exhiliration, a bit of beauty in the daily mundane, and even a good meal, perhaps the last. But at a age every meal is perhaps one's last. Momentary returns to normalcy are not all that uncommon to those at their end. Asking for a beer. Smoking a joint. Calling/messaging friends who thought you were already done. My mother was quite lucid moments before leaving. With all honesty, her last words to me were "If you are ever constipated, drink prune juice," and then she died. I share that with a chuckle and also advice should your mega doses of meds causing constipation.

    Once again, your 'many word' posts are a good reprieve for those of use still encumbered with houses, spouses, obligations, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art,

      Your Mom sounds wonderful. I can imagine Khandro,

      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khandro_Rinpoche

      G.I. (Gurdjieff) and J. (Krishnamurti) all smilingly corroborating her sagacity.

      Delete