Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Lost!

I'd taken my new chair (five dahlla's, check it out!) into the shade and was lounging in my UNDERPANTS!!! (Capitalized for the Captain Underpants enthusiasts) when a highway-rigged Mercedes (Sprinter) emerged from the tunnel o' trees. 



Assuming my most courtly stance, I bowed low from what was once a waist, and gestured, with arm held across my lower body, for her to pass. 

Instead, she disembarked and after apologizing for intruding, explained she is lost. I told of a turnaround about five hundred feet ahead and while she was away I'd draw her a map of how to get to the highway. 

As luck would have it, the one vehicle that'd come through was returning. The young man at the wheel of the new Crossover had a kayak on top and, after some interrogation, seemed trustworthy enough, and willing, to guide her out.

While she was gone turning around, I donned my overalls and thereby transformed, into, at least for appearances sake, being socially acceptable.

As they disappeared around the bend, I enjoyed a moment of gratefulness at having encountered her first. It leant an even more poignant touch to the morning: Still here, I was able to be helpful.

It's been a busy day...and barely past noon; time for a rest. And, as Pooh was wont to say, "Perhaps a little snack of something."

2 comments:

  1. A post of many words...appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opportunity to help another bears it's own rewards. Yesterday I helped three people. The last was a young cashier who offered that she was suffering from a broken heart. I wanted to say "You're young. This is a warmup" but offered next week she might find a new guy to replace last week's dog.

    ReplyDelete