Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Night Demons

1:26 am

There was the time I was installing an auxiliary bilge pump in the forward compartment of the 30' Searay and discovered I'd drilled through the hull.

There was the time, with the same boat, I took it out to the lot with the tractor and let it off the hitch without first chocking the trailer. I watched in horror as it began rolling down the gentle slope. The workmen were installing a new fence and the the posts had been set around half the lot but no fence was up. 



I tried to stop it by wrangling the trailer tongue like a recalcitrant dawgie. I had my heels dug in and was being dragged along when it suddenly came to a stop. I went around back and saw the diving platform had bent one of the new poles over.

The lot was six feet above the street and there was a station wagon parked where it would've gone over.

The guys installing the fence had seen the whole thing. As I walked up to get the tractor they kindly said, "Don't worry, we'll replace the pole." I never mentioned the incident and, as far as I know, they kept it to themselves.

You'd think by now I'd know better than to stay up this long past bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment