Monday, July 17, 2023

Crescent City

The woman who sold me the chair told of Lemon Bar ice cream at CC Diner (Facebook). She waxed eloquent extolling the virtues of their burgers and shakes.

The Oregon coast is beautiful but the mosquitoes are fierce. My thoughts returned to CC Diner (Crescent City is in California) and this evening, so did I. 

On top is Playdough, a blend of banana, blueberry and cherry. Underneath, tittering coquettishly, is Lemon Bar. A gripping moment came when we both, the server and I, gazed into the bucket of Lemon Bar and saw it empty. A compasionate child, she quickly assured me there was more and soon reappeared with a fresh one. It's Umpqua brand headquartered in Roseburg, Oregon.

She was generous but I was still taken aback by the $5.50 bill. It's a sign of age, so they say. I can only hope my diffident gesture toward the tip-jar when she mentioned change hid my surprise.


The Harbor





Palm Trees! (far right)


31.July.2023 Update.

Today I bought 1.5 qts from a grocery store for $4.49.

I'll be eternally grateful to CC Diner for introducing me to it.



2 comments:

  1. Things are expensive and they're getting more expensive. People are struggling to survive. The people who sell things are just trying to break even maybe with a little left over (here, I'm referring to any mom and pop place, or place that sells ice cream). It seems the common theme is that you complain about money and the price of things way too often. If you can't be proactive and make a change in how things are priced, then don't buy the stuff (or don't complain about it if you do). Just a suggestion, really. Be glad you are not trying to live some place like Hawaii. It will drain you faster than any place I've ever been in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous!

      Thanks for your insights. At some point in my youth I absorbed the idea that recognition of price increases was a sign of age. The young, who have yet to acquire perspective, have no sense of it.

      Having been an entrepreneur and small-businessman, I know first hand the truth of what you're saying about profit-margin.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete