Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Wildlife! Rattlesnake

Most animals, when not fleeing in terror, behave as if they're curious. The few snakes I've met lying in the road had proprietary airs. This one was eminently polite in that it was, as I became aware of it, moving away.

It raised its head to ensure a clear view of the triangular shape and it gave forth with one, little "click" of its tail, lest there be any doubt. But the impression was of benign consideration...more, perhaps for my bumbling and its potential for injury than any concern for *my* welfare, but no hint, at least as far as I could tell, of aggression.

Anthropomorphizing has been looked down upon by the western mind of Greek origin, but of late, as occurred with olde-timey religions, people are drifting away from that sterile, emotionless world and appreciating that we, as members of the animal kingdom (and perhaps even innanimate  things too) have similar emotions as the rest of the menangerie prompting me to surmise that, at least for some, their fear has been engendered by our self-centered disregard...rather than anything innate.




My call to the camerawoman was urgent and  seemingly sensing the shift, it began assuming a defensive curl in amongst the sage. I felt bad for inspiring any sense of trepidation as my enthusiasm around this shy creature was fueled by the rarity of encounters with wildlife. But I empathised: the evening before, a couple (of humans) had come barging into camp without even a hint of concern for their affect. And while pleasant on a superficial level, the lingering "feel" after they'd gone was of their self-centered and blatant disregard.

I did not want to leave this person with that feeling.



4 comments:

  1. You should focus on posts with more words, like this one, although it's really none of my business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Art. I often assume a photo will be sufficient to jog my memory. This was different in that while I'd probably remember the snake, I'd likely have forgotten the Couple.

      Delete
  2. This is an especially good post in that your words add exponential effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John.

      Though I write as if someone else might be reading this, I do in fact write pretty much for myself. Thus, adding philosophical musings and opinions feels unnecessary. I'm not sure what inspired me to ignore my usual inclinations.

      Delete