Sunday, June 25, 2023

Popcorn Rock


...is a calcium carbonacious buildup (precipitate) at the southwest end of Pyramid Lake. A sulphurous air wafts about, though the waters, here and there, are cool. 

The variety of forms suggest growth or deposition in the open, but all the elongate forms are horizontal.

It was within a short amble of our camp so I set out with my guide. She'd done a prelim explore and deemed it worthy. That meant, for us, that aside from exclamations of delight, our loupes were screwed to our eyes and our noses  glued to the rock; we scrambled among the forms as children in a funhouse.




Experimenting with my meds, I waited too long to take them and though felt no angina, the onset of syncope had me wondering if I'd reached the terminus. It's a strange way to live, but provides a great appreciation of ability, despite only being able to clamber 750 feet horizontally and 50 feet up a hill.






Wildlife!




Jurassic Donut



Herd of Pelicans & Seagulls




Accretion


Insert Here






Nature's humor




1 comment: