Thursday, May 25, 2023

Children!

Leaving camp on a smooth road that goes to an active mine, I stood Phoebe on her nose coming to a stop in front of this baby rattlesnake.


Familiar, and appreciative, of their stubborness, I nevertheless brought out my "incensed parent" voice. (My daughter will be 53 in July)

Coiling and assuming the posture, head raised, cocked & loaded, it wiggled its tail in the way they do. In hope of gaining some advantage, I pointed out its youth. Having no observable effect, I switched to expressing appreciation of the warning. This seemed to mollify it somewhat and, backing away I was pleased to see it slooooowly moving off the road.

An hour earlier a large truck had gone by. It would've been a real challenge to stop such a large vehicle or manuever past. "What then?!" asked Grandfather, after telling Peter how wolves roamed the forest.



No comments:

Post a Comment