Thursday, June 30, 2022

Cooking With Fire

I rarely make a fire but some nice person left this splendid pile of oak on the cliff behind our (Phoebe's fur is getting rubbed off so she increasingly makes us a "we") camp. That's the Kanab Creek bosque in back.



In my youth I watched as the vendors in Mexico threw the meat directly on the coals. I had no idea what kind of wood they were using, but it tasted good. Over the years, when I find something besides creosote and the wind isn't too high, I'll hunker down and pretend I'm a paleo. But maybe they had mastadon grills.


Awaiting the Coals






Perfect!



For many years I ate off Meissen or Rosenthal china from my mom's collection (died '92). I had to give it up though, washing just took too much water. I still use silver-plate flatware.


Organic green beans (frozen), cranberry sauce for dessert on a paper (UGH!) plate.


I got a new camp chair but after about a month I decided NOT & left it in the storage locker. The settee works okay.












6 comments:

  1. You be stylin' in this post. Love the photo below "awaiting the coals."

    My Scamp came with all of the plates/flatware from the original Yooper old guy owner. My prized possession is his ice cream scoop. He allegedly ate a big bowl of ice cream every night after supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a few miles north of Kanab on hwy 89. The entire eastern half of the state is gorgeous.

      Delete
  2. What's a Yooper?

    The angina hasn't flared in long enough I've decided I must be gonna live forever. I GOTTA get this weight off. I'll count on you to enjoy the ice crean for me for the next couple of years.

    We await the blogpost showcasing the scoop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat much ice cream myself. I keep it around to remind me of the old guy who first owned the Scamp and took it all around the country. A Yooper is what they call people who live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. He was from Escanaba.

      I'm glad your angina isn't giving recent trouble. I've had two close acquaintances die unexpectedly in the last month, just after they retired, reminding me that no one lives forever, but we might as well live well while we are here.

      Delete
  3. You mentioned weight loss. I used Noom and I have lost 50 lb since last December. It's worth every penny if you pay for it, but you can use the free version. I like the psychological training they give that helps you learn what makes you eat so much and little tricks to help you keep your calorie count down. They don't tell you what you can and can't eat. That just help you understand better choices.

    ReplyDelete