Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Accordion Repairs

I had bought the accordion less than two weeks earlier from Tony Tomei. Throughout, he emphasized I was getting a $600.00 dollar instrument for $450.00. In addition, I got an hour and twenty minute lesson and a beginners book on how to play. 

The strap on the side with the bass buttons was frayed, but Tony said he'd sell me a new one for $30.00 and put it on for free...presumably sometime in the near future. Ten days later the strap was hanging by a couple of threads, but when I passed through Los Alamos Tony wasn't home. 

When I contacted The Accordion Club in Albuquerque they referred me to Luis Jaramillo.

I thought I'd have to leave the instrument with him, but he assured me he'd have it ready the day after next when I planned to leave. But neither of us expected to find that all the black keys were close to falling off. In addition to fixing them he crafted a new strap and repaired a "foot" of one of the white keys that fell off while he was making the other repairs.

He has the black key that fell off in his hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment