Monday, January 17, 2022

Tracking the Progress...or decline

A year went by before I noticed the pain in my wrist. At first I ignored it, but as time went on it got worse. It demanded notice whenever I opened jars and when doing other things that required a sideways or twisting motion of the hand. Eventually, the origin finally dawned on me...the transradial catheterization. 



I write this to alert those considering the procedure. Though knowing of the potential for this post-operative annoyance likely wouldn't have dissuaded me, I suspect there are INNUMERABLE other problems that can arise from similar or more invasive procedures and it's served to validate my refusal to have bypass.

My primary-care-provider recently retired. At my annual physical a year after the infarction he said he thought I was doing the right thing by mediating the angina with medication. In our last meeting a couple of months ago his parting advice was, "Avoid surgery."

When I went into the Emergency Room (E.R.) in Tucson one of the doctors -- in his effort to convince me to agree to surgery -- in describing the possible debilitation from heart failure -- said, "You won't even be able to wipe your ass!" He described how they would push the cath up through the vein in the left leg...a dated technique.

I learned of transradial catheterization from the internet...not one of the physicians mentioned it...and I talked with several. It wasn't until the conversation about stenting (with the cardiologist) that he said it was the method he used.

There're worse things though and one that I heard about first-hand from a man's widow involved stem-cell transplant. When Double El was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL), stem-cell transplanting was a popular remedy. The widow described how the procedure turned his digestive system, from his mouth to his anus, to hamburger.

Further read disclosed that his experience wasn't unique; 25% of patients who underwent the procedure died. Many, most, suffered, some for years, with a variety of -- even a host of -- post-operative ailments and/or disabilities. 

I convinced her not to do it, but her brother thought it a good idea. I had to write a comprehensive argument to dissuade him of his opinion...such was the influence of the medical establishment's enthusiasm.

Now, more than a decade later, stem-cell transplants are out of fashion, at least for treatment of C.L.L. And, thanks to a much more benign chemotherapy, Double El is free & clear. 


My cardiologist tells me all three of my arteries are blocked. But now, after more than two years of taking medication, I'm holding my own. Meds have, evidently, in some cases, at least, advanced to a level where their use is almost as efficacious as surgery, and, in my case, entails a lot less risk. I may not last as long as someone who enjoys a bypass, but I might.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment