Tuesday, April 21, 2020

MFH - Albuquerque


The line in Waiting For Godot, "It's a Carrot" served, for many years, as a koan whose meaning was: It is what it is.

All the while I interpreted the scene as Beckett's sarcastic poke at homophobes. The critics frequently made reference to it in metaphorical terms of Vladimir's balls (testes) and the carrot as his dick. I imagined Beckett muttering: "Stupid buttheads! They read too much Freud."

My sister embroidered this bandana 45 years ago.






Over time the carrot morphed into The Prime Motivator...as in when dangled, on a schtick-und-schtring, in front of a mule. I discarded the stick and enjoyed the metaphor. The phrase "It's a Carrot" became the acronym IAC. And in those days, when the gallery was going strong, Contemporary Art was my Prime Motivator -- compelling me to LEAP from bed (with enthusiasm) each morning.






Ms. Cook found this SPLENDID robe -- and t-shirt -- online. 
Not ALL my stubbornness is genetic; I AM a Capricorn.






At the Santa Cruz Valley Regional Hospital after the angioplasty.





Tinsel & Carrots, Oh My!






About Poetry
from:  Nine Gates  by Jane Hirshfield




Look Here.






No comments:

Post a Comment