Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Stainless

I prefer silver, or, at the least, silver plate. It's been a while since we traveled and although we DID remember the phone chargers the Sagebrush Inn in Taos has naught but stainless...and ugly at that.

But Sheldon the cat, came out to bid me Guten Morgen when I took my buffet breakfast to the bar, which, at that hour of the day I had, for a little while at least, to myself.



A review of The Blue Flower by Daniel Myers of Greenville, SC, lifted from Amazon:

I remember when this book was first published and made the cover of the New York Times Book Review under the caption "Romanticism breaks out!" or something of the sort. Romanticism does NOT break out in this book. The very fact that it can be characterized as such shows us just how far we've come from the Romantic era.-All that "breaks out" in this novel is meticulous descriptive writing of the late 18th Century German milieu, in all its mundanities and shoddiness. In other words, the book is ANTI-ROMANTIC. The only Romantic passages are the quotes from Fitzgerald's straw man/main character Novalis and they are always quoted in a context that makes them appear misguided and silly. I'm sure Fitzgerald could have done the same thing with Keats, who grew up as a stable boy. Romantics are easy to comedize, because they take everything seriously. In doing so, they express our greatest longings and highest aspirations as well as the depths of human despair.
I'm too depressed by this book and by the reviewers and critics who have fooled themselves into thinking something deeper is going on here to say anymore. But I'll end with a riposte quoted from Novalis on p.157 (and, of course, made by Fitzgerald to look ridiculous in the context in which she places it): "Courage is more than endurance, it is the power to create your own life in the face of all that man or God can inflict, so that every day and every night is what you imagine it. Courage makes us dreamers, courage makes us poets."
Have the courage not to go along with the fickle sheep of reviewers and critics on this one. Have the courage to see the book for what it is: An old, learned woman's meticulous sneer at the visions that make living on this earth worthwhile.

Some silver, or, at the minimum, silver plate, would help.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I wish you'd write more. I just found your September 22, 2014 post on *We're All Mad Here.* It's wonderful!

      For those of you who may not know of None At All...

      http://rierie123.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    2. I'd actually forgotten I'd written all that - Like, I knew I had, but it then just evaporated like most everything else I can't remember where it is - See, my brain has issues. It sux.

      Delete