Saturday, September 28, 2019

Aunt Ree Ree

Around the ages of 3 and 4 I got to spend several weeks at Aunt Ree Ree's house in Atlanta, Georgia while my mother traveled to be with my Dad.

In addition to her record player, her foyer had several display cases filled with exotic treasures from her travels. She had things from Hawaii, including a starfish that now hangs above the archway of the hall at Ms. Cook's. The back of her couch sported a colorful serape, a memento of a time in Mexico.





There was a large mimosa in the front yard and its fragrance added to the magic of the summer evenings when she'd light candles and float them on her fish pond.


I'd been told she was a masseuse, but it wasn't until I was in my 30s, after her death, that I learned she'd been a fan-dancer. These photos are among the treasures in my display case that resides in Ms. Cook's living room.

I still remember her pink-painted bathtub embellished with crudely drawn flowers. Wonderfully exotic!

3 comments:

  1. lovely is it her white wool coat pieces that i have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.

      Do you recall sewing a button on my sleeping bag liner? It is still there and reminds me of both of you each time I use it.

      Delete