Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Holiday Park Fitness Room - Day 2

Michelle did MUCH better at the gym. She discovered the "abs" machine and the situps bench. I'm having a hard time not bursting into tears over the poignancy of it all.

Imagine, if you will, me, as huge as I am, dragging her, a mere five-foot two, wonderfully zaftig, by her collar, sulking, up the sidewalk to the front entrance, through the sliding-glass doors where I have to PRY her membership card (membership is free but they issue a card in order to substantiate their funding) out of her hand so they can scan it, then proceed down the hall to the fitness room where I THROW her onto a treadmill & kick it into gear. Ten minutes later she's clipping along at 4 mph and showing no sign of boredom or exertion.

The only other people in the room are another couple about our age, but in much better shape. They're obviously on a cardio routine and move from one machine to another without hesitation or breaks.

Michelle (inadvertently) beats him to the abs machine. He goes by and mutters "Fuck" under his breath. Soon his wife queries him about his upset and after several exclamations of increasing volume of "WHAT!?!" (apparently due to his wife speaking too softly), he practically bellows, "I'm waiting on this machine!"

Michelle, in her inimitable capacity to ignore, just schluffs him off as "grumpy" and later relates the incident as a humorous anecdote.

At the Post Office we stand in line for 15 minutes  when on the radio comes "I'm frrrreeee, I'm free fallin'! Free Fallin' now I'm Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty.

Free Fallin' by Tom Petty



There're about 15 people in line behind us (we're always front-of-the-wave) and they all know the chorus. It takes only a little encouragement from yerz trooly for everyone, including the postal workers, to join in for a flash-mob (no video as I'd have had to get a release from each). At the counter, the clerk kindly points out it's a UPS mailing label.



While she's at UPS I go next door to the "neighborhood" Walmart.

Once home and groceries unloaded and lasagna in oven I'm lying down and speculating I may not move again for a week, perhaps longer.

Tomorrow at 12:30 & 6:30 Sifu Dug Corpolongo teaches Tai Chi. I hope to make it to one of the classes...if I survive.

4 comments:

  1. It’s been a rough week, and the visualization of “free fallin” at the post office made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,
      Sorry to hear. I suspected and have been afraid to ask.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful!! Reminds me of dancing with a miner in the bottled water aisle in Ridley's in Ely NV. Wish I could remember the tune, it was too dancible to resist :)) Need more such opportunities.

    ReplyDelete