Friday, January 19, 2024

Digital Recorder

Advised that being on hospice was the first step toward MAID, I met with a representative. She said the minimum contact was a twice-a-month visit from a nurse. On Monday, when we met, I was still thinking I might want to take short trips and didn't want to be tied down. I chose NOT to sign on. 

Thursday I was acknowledging my traveling days, even short trips, are of the past. (What to do with an "old beater" that has over $25,000.00 of restoration in it?)

A couple of weeks ago a woman I met at the January 6 Death Café referred me to a Death Doula. He's a he/him and inquiring minds wonder if that means he's a DoulO? In Spanish "a" is feminine and "o" is masculine.

Last Friday we set up a meeting for Sunday afternoon; I immediately ordered a digital recorder. On 13.Jan they said it'd arrive on the 18th. Then came a note saying it'd be early, but if it didn't arrive by the 18th I could request a refund (this is Amazon). Late last night, around 1:00 a.m., came a note saying it was delayed and would arrive on the 23rd, but if it didn't I could request a refund. 

I called UPS to plead my case. I 'splained how The Doulo is in high demand, time is of the essence and we couldn't reschedule. The nice lady said there was nothing they could do but Amazon might overnight me a replacement.

(Tap image to goto product on Amazon. No, I'm not monetized, but there IS a donate button in the upper right on the desktop view.)



Sure enough! They couldn't absolutely guarantee it would arrive in time, but they'd try.

Now that Der Führer has been dethroned, I gather Mr. Bozos has taken center stage as "everymans'" target of enmity, but when I 'splained my sit-chew-ay-shun to the rep, he got it instantly, asked me to hold for a minute and in less than 30 seconds was back with a "free replacement" that would be overnighted. I was in pretty rough shape and it took all I had to choke out a "thank you" before hanging up.

As I collapsed back into the post-breakfast exhaustion, I wondered if I'd have to pay the overnight shipping cost and whether I could just refuse the original when it finally arrived or if I'd have to endure WHOLE FOODS in order to return it?

After all this, I remembered I have an mp3 recorder in Phoebe. I called the shop where she's getting some custom fabrication to compensate for out-dated clutch technology and was told Robert would bring it to the house tomorrow. (They don't work on weekends.) The goddess keeps me hoppin' but like the man said, "You might'nt get whut chew want, but yuh jus' might find yuh git whutchyu need."

I might be able to record in stereo!

5 comments:

  1. You could buy a really cheap Android phone at WalMart. It would not need activation, just wifi to download an audio recording app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art! There you are!!!

      How are you M'Man?!

      Robert, son of shop-owner where Phoebe's getting her latest upgrade, brought my mp3 recorder from off her dashboard. If I'd been thinking I might've realized my Pixel 6 would probably work as well or better...but I wasn't. Now that you've got me on track, I'll test it out. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Amazon did not come through. 😟

      Delete
    3. Art, I tried using the recorder on my Pixel 6 and it isn't adequate. At a distance of three and a half feet the quality of my mp3 recorder is MUCH better than the phone. I wanted the new recorder to save my phone conversations with Kristen smd hoped it'd be better than the mp3 one which is over a decade old. That gives an idea of how paltry the Pixel 6 recorder is.

      Thx for the idea, tho. Now I have *another* reason to dislike the Pixel 6. 🤪😑

      Delete
    4. YouTube has a number of videos showing how to use an external microphone with the Pixel phone. You can (I wanted to type 'YouCan') pick up a microphone for said use from Amazon for less than $20. Actually there might be deals for two mikes for cheap. Getting the recording on your phone might be better for extracting the recordings and saving securely. Good luck w/ the recording goal.

      Delete