Sunday, June 20, 2021

The Willys Next Door

A vehicle is, to me, a conveyance; protection from the elements while providing an expeditious means of transferring one's body from one place to another. 

In my youth I drove a variety of vehicles including a 1968 GTO (at 140 mph drag-racing on Colorado Blvd in Denver at 11pm)



a 1966 Triumph TR4 (practiced "drifting" through turns)


and I put our 1964 VW bug through its paces on one of the windingest roads through the hills of Tennessee where we (unfortunately) went to live after leaving Germany.

But every now and then, as with the Auburn in California or Phil Endicott's 1932 Dodge, I see one that is worthy of note. Such was the case with this Willys in Flagstaff.





Will you LOOK at that Patina!!






That's a tachometer stuck in on the left hiding behind the steering wheel.




Double-U...for Willys



2 comments:

  1. In the 1960s I almost bought two or three different Willys. Those were the days of being so, so cook if you had 4WD. Also on the list of 'almost' was a very early Toyota Landcruiser. 'Landcrusier'...what a name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know about the Willys, but you lucked out on the Toyota. Those early Landcruisers quickly achieved renown for throwing main bearings between 30 & 60k miles. It took Toyota DECADES to overcome the stigma.

      Delete