Saturday, June 12, 2021

Moderna Vaccine, Covid & Bell's Palsey

For those of you who STILL have yet to get your shot(s), I'm writing to caution you about the Moderna vaccine. Since getting mine on April 24, 2021, I've had 12 incidents of Bell's Palsey of which the most recent was 7 consecutive days -- up until today, the 18th of June -- in which the numbness and pain subsided during the night then began anew the next day. 

Aside from the painful numbness in the left side of my face, upper left jaw, including pain in my teeth, it sometimes triggers INTENSE pain in my left eye, the one that was blinded in an accident in 2008.


I personally know 7 people who died from Covid, including my sister, age 60, so though I wasn't EAGER to get vaccinated I decided to go ahead. I mean, what the heck? 

Not that I'm that concerned about dying since I AM already, of heart failure, but it's the WAY of dying. The prospect of lying around suffocating and maybe NOT dying was a tad intimidating. And hey! It was FREE!

Prior to getting the shot I'd never had anything like Bell's Palsey. But after the shot I had several incidents before I was scheduled for the 2nd one and, as a result, decided not to get it.

The online articles trivialize the condition and say it usually "resolves" without treatment in 6 months. (Just like HPV! Unless, of course, you get cancer of the cervix, throat or some other form.) 

The numbness and related paralysis have lasted -- each time -- anywhere from an hour to 24 hours and though they have "resolved" (so far) without permanent impairment, they have been/are EXTREMELY uncomfortable. The eye pain is TERRIFIC (not like Tom!) and doesn't respond to NSAIDs or aspirin. 



Just For-Your-Information (fyi). 

4 comments:

  1. I did and probably will not get the vaccine...not because i am afraid to have negative side effects, but because i trust i will live and die somehow anyway weather i want it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not worried about dying, it was the threat of being on a ventilator that motivated me to get the shot.

      Delete
  2. ha yes a fatalist and for living in a garret indeed i dream of that, as a child i would love to spend time there, but somehow even now having two garrets i guess one a top the shop and one above the house, i rarely spend time there as i did as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and to my first answer i like to add, and in between this livng and dying or while at it, it will be uncomfortable at times. These days in a gratitude practice i have, i include pema chodron's gratefullness for the uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete