Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Medical Billing - A WONDERFUL Day In the Neighborhood

Today, quite by accident, I discovered Dr. Khoo, the cardiologist I met with back in July, had put in an order with Presbyterian Hospital for two CT scans, one for my chest and another for my abdomen and pelvis. 


(You wouldn't BELIEVE the enmity its leaves inspire in the next-door-neighbor.)


It seems Presbyterian's protocol is grounded in patient initiative; they wait to hear from them.  Somehow I'd missed the point (more likely I forgot) that Dr. Khoo had ordered the scans. My call today -- about a billing question -- was answered by a woman who asked if I was still interested in getting the scans.

After several calls to different departments, I learned the order (for the scans) was good until November of 2021 and I needed to have blood work done in advance. I called Dr. Khoo's office and they said they'd fax over an order (to the lab) for the bloodwork right away.  

Concerned about the cost, I'd acquired the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes and armed with those was in a position - assuming everyone used the same codes -- to learn how much more in debt I might wanna go. 

Then someone mentioned I might qualify for Presbyterian's financial assistance. BUT, Radiology Associates (R.A.) ALSO does CT scans and not only do they do them cheaper but since they do the reading (interpretation) for Presbyterian's scans, if I had R.A. do the scans I'd only get one bill. (This tidbit was delivered with such enthusiasm you'd think it was right up there with an absolution!)

A call to Presbyterian's Advocacy Center (financial assistance) gave me to hope I'd be eligible for 100% financial assistance EXCEPT for Radiology Associate's readings. This necessitated another call to R.A. to find out what they charge for reading sans scanning. (R.A., I was informed, does NOT offer financial assistance.)

I can apply to Presbyterian for financial assistance by having the forms mailed, completing them and mailing them back (takes longer), downloading a pdf and mailing it in (printer ink is INCREDIBLY expensive!) or I can apply online through an automated application process.

I scheduled the scans at Pres (as it's locally known) for Saturday at 2pm.

I've been on the phone for 2 hours and 47 minutes. It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

Oh, and guess what? The heart attack was March 8. This week Santa Cruz hospital called to let me know there's ANOTHER $500.00 owed. It took this long for the bill to float to the surface. You can't AFFORD a heart attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment