Monday, July 22, 2019

East Of Eden

It was too lyrical to pass up.

I took the shortcut through the divide, dropped onto the east shore of Pineview Reservoir and descended into  Eden. I clambered onto 39 und headed east.

It's a long two hours (Phoebe's four cylinders can only manage about 30 mph on a long, steep slope, but the consistent 26 mpg always satisfies.) to the top and it's all private along the way. Garmin shows the National Forest starts a few miles east of Ogden but there's no access. What's even weirder is they somehow managed to privatize the turnouts -- yes, the "wide spots" -- as they're all posted and strung with cable to keep folks out. Many are occupied by trailers und/or 5th wheels.

But once on top there're (vernacular: there's) many roads into the forest. It's mostly aspen with lots of wildflowers but, what with global warming and all, it's HOT at 5:00 p.m. even at 8,660 feet. And the deer flies forced me to get out my netting-embellished hat. I was intrigued by how they disappeared once they realized they couldn't get at me. Makes yuh wonder (or maybe not if you watch TV) if they have a mischievous nature, like otters, that's yet to be discerned.

Coming down the east side I stopped at Birch Creek Reservoir where I got my exercise taking the steeper trail to the top of the dam. There, on the beach, I found a multi-tool basking.

I approached the lone fisherperson at the other end of the dam but she said she already had one. I pleaded, saying my rig is full. She took pity and claimed she'd gift her son-in-law.

On the way down there was this thistle...










Purple's been my fav ever since the hyacinths along the walk to 1st grade in Rolla, Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment