Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Iconic Arizona

A photographer, a real one, not just a happy-snapper like me, once bade me look at the screen of his large-format digital. It was a typical day at Grand Canyon where, for the last 30 or so years, they've been blaming the occlusion on L.A. and, more recently, on smog from China. Regardless, *I* remember being able to see across CLEARLY in the late sixties when The Bright Angel and Hermit trails provided Spring training. But the filter he was using cut through the haze....and there it was!

My Little Sony, DSC-W830, has a Zeiss lens that does better, for the price ($120.00), than any other I tested. (I try and view it as a source of entertainment: buying three or four cameras and bringing 'em all back. Walmartz gets free product testing.)

But it just can't capture the light!   (Florence-to-Kelvin Traverse, via Cochran. The road to Cochran "deadends" at the river. Mapsource/Basecamp shows a bridge across a mere 1/2 mile from the bottom photo, but between the mud & a real need for a machete, I wussed out.)















The bosque of the Gila River is an impenetrable thicket of catclaw. Bring yer machete....




I've only been stuck a couple of times, but I didn't enjoy it. So I walk when I hear that little voice saying "Youse may wanna go have a look."

2 comments:

  1. awesome photos. And what awesome places to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I too am amazed at the awesome places that continue to turn up.

      Delete