Friday, February 15, 2019

Whoopsie-daisy

Yesterday was the first I felt like going for a hike since the accident back in December. I ambled across the way, navigated the mazes of cat-claw and ocotillo forest, across the little stream and up the other side onto the "bench."




From there I followed the (reeking) cowpath a short distance and then, at the behest of a little bird, headed back down toward the creek.

It was a bit rocky. As I stepped around an outcrop my foot caught on something and found myself in that "Uh-oh, this could hurt" moment; it was slow enough I had time to wonder if I was going to be plucking prickly-pear needles for the next few days. As I came to a stop, my good fortune became apparent...at least at far as the cacti were concerned. But what was striking was the quiet...as if everyone, it was only me and the plants, was holding their breath.

Assessment disclosed a hit to the left shin. As I pulled up the pants to check the damage, a shard of annoyance flashed at the sight of the rip in the knee. A GOOD pair of pants! But no blood...and no broken bones...nothing serious. I pulled myself together, assured everyone I was fine, including myself, and continued down to the creek. There I found what will be, in a month or two, a beautiful swimming hole. That is, if it continues to flow.














On the way back I found some of these. I'd met them before near Cochise Stronghold. Their bright-red beans are enticing.



Anybody know what they'll induce...or cure? (I collected a bunch.)







A neighbor. I like orange, but it just doesn't quite have the impact as red.





And then there was this charming couple.




A satisfying day in "the wilds."

9 comments:

  1. Great hike! Thanks for taking us along through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx, John.

      I'm continuing to enjoy your Appalacian excerpts. I can't *believe* you continued through that weather!

      See excerpts from Johns's thru-hike at the end of his blog beginning:
      http://brewedjourney.com/index.php/2018/12/07/all-my-lifes-a-circle/

      Delete
  2. Dermatophyllum secundiflorum the beans...they contain toxic nicotine something. They are used for jewelry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...thank you!

      And the article said they may have stood in as a hallucinatory prior to the discovery of peyote. (But you know these guys and their surmisaling...Dummkopfs!)

      Delete
  3. https://dcreechsite.com/2017/01/04/sophora-secundiflora-ill-have-hot-sauce-with-my-frijolitos-please what ever you do BE CAREFUL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Dave Creech is a hoot! But he glanced off a pet peeve where he writes "there's some nomenclature issues here." I mean, how credible can a guy be whose grammar ain't got nuthin'?

      Otherwise, great article. Thx!

      Delete
  4. the lovely flowers, Anemone tuberosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach!! You are AMAZING! I won't bother posting on the blog anymore, I'll just email you.

      You may be interested to know, one of the references cited in Wiki is the Jepson Manual. The woman seen here:

      https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com/2018/08/contact.html

      was one of the 13 illustrators for the 1993 edition.

      Delete