Monday, February 25, 2019

Somebody...

got into the cooler last night. When I went out to investigate, the lid was on the ground and I could tell several items were missing. I hoisted it atop one of the boxes on the roof and added a piece of luggage to further dissuade another attempt. The shaman at Mt Wrightson Wilderness said "his" (coatimundi's) had no compunctions about going onto the roof.

This morning I recovered the tattered remains of the three nested ziplocks that had held a Kentucky Legend smoked ham, the packaging from a pound of grass-fed, organic, ground beef and the remains of a 4 oz. pkg of VITA smoked salmon with a small bit still in the corner, which I ate. 

I suspect a coatimundi as this is not, as far as I know, shape-shifter territory.

This morning a hummingbird buzzed around, playing peek-a-boo through the windshield and, I surmise, checking for contention from its reflection from the tinted windows.

It's pretty quiet in the Kofa, but you can STILL hear racket from highway 95 less than ten miles away.  At least there're no shootists.

4 comments:

  1. coyote ate his way thru my homemade cooler like he was crazy hungry. When I got home from my walk, he was runnin with my wonder bread, glanced back like the sneakin thief he was, and disspeared over some rocks. I went lookin for my lunch meat and found an oscar meyer celo next to his den. Had pups down there, could tell from the tiny shit. I brought my big bag of lays chips and dropped em down the hole, they were stale anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered the work of conservationist Bob Irwin and his wife, Terri.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Irwin

      While researching, a related article said 60% of wildlife has disappeared. People are so disconnected from nature they haven't missed them.

      As the Canadians, and maybe the Aussies, say, "Good on you, John!"

      Delete
  2. Last night I was at the Roadrunner 14-day area seven miles south of QZT, about a hundred yards from 95. I was so out of it I was unaware of highway noise or neighboring generators.

    Long ago my former wife and I were camping on the Olympic Peninsula. There was a clatter outside and I took a peek. A family of raccoons was going through our leftovers and dirty dishes. They paused and looked at me as if asking, "You got a problem, buster?" I left them to it. The only unpleasant part was picking up all the bits of shredded tin foil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raccoons are the worst! If they weren't so destructive their sense of entitlement'd be funny. We've had 'em at Goleta a couple of times, there north of Santa Barbara. Raucous, boogers!

      Delete