Sunday, February 24, 2019

Surly Bonds

How'd that poem go? The one they used to play when they signed off at night....

I've slipped the surly bonds
of snow and ice
And am basking in
Warmth and vice.
Altho I pity those stuck at home,
Sing Ho! for those
Eager to roam.

After paying the price of permission,
I trod the plushly carpeted halls
of a subdued and low-light space.

Then up I soared to the heights of delight,
And chased her round the room.
It was all part of the fun,
To dispel the wraiths of Eastward gloom.

And then, in languor
and with ease,
I put out my hand
And touched the face...
of Louise.



I was in Tuscon, but thanks to Rolling Steel Tent (blog) posting a weather chart I left last Wednesday. Look what happened.... See: Box Canyon Blog (blog).


Ah, here it is...

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment