Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Poodle Point

It's two miles around the University's north golf course and in my hey-day I'd go around twice, alternating wind sprints with walking interspersed with an occasional kata.

A poodle and an orange tabby kept an eye on things in the short deadend where we parked. Sometimes Michelle came with me.



Now, thirty years on, the sedentaryness of town life has sapped my remaining energy, but we have, on alternate days, managed small ambles in parks. The deafness of my right ear facilitates enjoyment by reducing the intensity of the city's roarings.

The poodle & tabby are long since gone, but there's a new sign asserting the golf course's demands for respect, your risk of being hit by flying balls and the reminder that there is no "Poop Fairy" and to pick up after your dog.

3 comments:

  1. And so it is. I still find it very surreal this growing old. I am still fit, but my husband is not. Somehow i had never envisioned it like this. I don't know i often on my walks in the past did realize how fortunate i am to be fit, to do for example the full two mile even twice and realizing that not everybody can do that, i felt sad for what they miss out on. But now i am there with my husband. I try and often succeed embracing this stage of being with him on borrowed time. It sounds like you do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice thoughts, jozien, thanks. (I'm there too, and a bit like you it seems)

      Delete
    2. Sweetheart,

      It is good to hear you are doing well. For some reason I always thought Don would be in good shape too. What has happened?

      Delete