Monday, August 23, 2021

Transradial Catheterization

With the indescribable splendor of Nevada's late-summer wilds at my doorstep negating my attempts at written elocution, the moment seemed ripe to bemoan the crick in my wrist that's developed from the transradial catheterization I had two Marches ago.


When I went into the emergency room at St. Mary's in Tucson, they offered to do a traditional catheterization through my femoral artery. Never one to leap at an offer, I checked the internet and soon learned this antiquated technique was supplanted years ago by the development of ever-smaller micro instruments. Transradial catheterization (as it's known) -- going in through the radial artery at the wrist -- is now the more popular means of implanting stents and doing other things such as diagnosing.




Aside from the cost of just under $100,000.00 for the hospital and another $20,000.00 for the various "techs"  including the anesthesiologist, nurses and, of course, the surgeon, I hadn't any post-operative complaints.


But then, starting a few months ago, I began noticing a sharp pain at the insertion site. It'd happen when opening bottles, jars or any movement that required gripping with the fingers combined with lateral motion at the wrist. I've switched to my left hand.


Somehow I surmise this is not litigable. And besides, no amount of cash is gonna relieve the pain. So I thought I'd post this tidbit as a reminder the next time I'm thinking of having surgery. Although I  COULD look at it as a minor inconvenience relative to the need for a stent, as it's gone on I've begun to worry about the long-term impact on my onanistic activity...a major dimension in my quality of life esp at this stage: when one is olde & phat and lacking in funds to hire help.




No comments:

Post a Comment