Friday, August 27, 2021

Michelle's Sourdough

From deep in the bowels of Phoebe's library I heard the long-overdue birthday present shout, "The Minersville (Utah) post office parking lot is empty!" 

I made a u-ee and screeched in.   

No one was in line behind me so when Michelle, the Postmaster, asked where I was from I blamed Nurnberg and tacked on the bits about an early childhood in Japan & some formative years in Germany.  

By way of excusing my lack of accent (and lend cachet to my Chicago twang), I 'splained my first language was English, 2nd was Japanese and that it wasn't until age 7, late in life, that I began learning German.



Suddenly bidding me stay where I was she said, "I have something for you."

This has, at least on one occasion, prefaced my being on the wrong end of a pistol. But my fears were unfounded as, turning quickly, she took two steps away and returned with a beautiful loaf of home-made bread.

Ardent sentimentalist that I am, I immediately began to tear up. And then, whilst wrangling the emotional storm of gratitude, I did my best to pay attention as she told how it was sourdough, her favorite.

Michelles are AMAZING! 


And it only barely survived through the night!


No comments:

Post a Comment