Monday, August 16, 2021

Nevada Northern Railway Museum

And there's a CAT!!


The last time I was here the regular guide was ill and the executive director, Mark Bennet, led the tour. This time I was equally lucky. John, from St. Petersburg, Florida, followed his son here and was doing carpentry on the wooden cars. He showed me through one of the better coaches that had stained glass windows and a special section for the smoking men. 





John said Kennecott closed the place in 1983. It went full-time, twenty-four-hours-a-day, around the turn of the century. When it closed, they left everything, including the engines, cars, tools, everything, where it was.


Press in the blacksmith shop




  


















3 comments:

  1. That's very cool. Does any of the equipment actually operate? Did they leave the cat in 1983, also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two operating steam locomotives and at least three diesels.

      Next month a 7-year restoration project comes to fruition with the return-to-the-tracks of another steam engine. This coincides with the two year retirement of the 3rd (steam) engine as it undergoes its 15-year inspection.

      Delete
    2. I vaguely recall seeing something in Dirt's bio about how long he's been there, but I seem to have neglected committing it to memory. I'll check when I head south next month.

      Delete